If your organization has been using Maximo for a long time, it’s likely that you have multiple Maximo databases rather than one corporate database with all of your Orgs/Sites defined. Or if you’ve made a recent acquisition, you may also be faced with the same problem — the need to merge multiple Maximo databases into one consolidated database supporting multiple Organizations or Sites.
Doing this safely and cost effectively is an Asset Partners specialty and we have completed many “Maximo Merge” projects for clients. In addition the typical straightforward Maximo consolidations, our experience includes much more complex consolidation projects such as merging Maximo databases from one version of Maximo directly into another such as Maximo 4 or 5 to Maximo 7, changing the database platform (Oracle to SQL Server and vice-versa) during the merge, making significant data transformations to normalize/standardize Maximo usage for the incoming sites, and performing phased migrations over time. All completed successfully.
Our proven Maximo Database Consolidation methodology results in a solution that is:
- Complete: All of your business data from each of the source databases will be migrated to the target shared Maximo database.
- Optimized for Maximo Multi-Org/Site: Wherever possible the Orgs/Sites in the shared target database will be setup with shared supporting data at the Set, Org, and Site levels.
- Repeatable: The consolidation process is built to be repeatable for reliable rerun on production cutover.
- Fast: The consolidation process is developed to be as fast as possible in order to minimize the production Maximo outage.
- Valid: The resulting shared Maximo database will be a valid Maximo database and pass the Maximo integrity checker.
Asset Partners uses several proprietary tools during Maximo consolidation projects, which allows us to ensure a better result for you with less time and cost.
- Maximo Data Model Compare: We use a special version of our Maximo Config Compare product to analyze all source databases together and report and categorize all data model differences so we can properly handle these during the merge.
- Duplicate Checker for Maximo: This is an in-house application that scans all of the source Maximo databases and peformes a “look ahead” analysis to pre-identify any key violations that would result should they be combined. This information allows us to quickly and reliably resolve these problems rather than simply hoping that they’ll be found by trial and error later.
- Migration Mapper: This is another proprietary tool that dynamically maps the Maximo data model from each of your source databases to the target shared database and automates a signficant amount of the required data transformations. This is the same tool we’ve used to successfully upgrade other clients in special cases, such as when the IBM upgrade utilities have not been available when needed for certain Industry Solutions.
- Maximo Code Changer: This is a product that we license to customers but we also use it internally if needed during Maximo merge projects to make any required key value changes (e.g. to change keys such as Job Plan ID’s, UOM’s, Person ID’s, etc.).
- Referential Integrity Analyzer: This is a proprietary tool that we use on some Maximo consolidation projects which looks for bad referential data throughout the entire Maximo database and reports the findings in several ways to help you identify and resolve those data issues that are most critical.
Please contact us to discuss options for consolidating your Maximo databases.